November / December 2008 Newsletter
As a small, family-owned business we are grateful that you chose The Wedding Dance Specialists to serve you during a sacred time in your lives. As engaged
couples you have many choices to make throughout your planning process and we are flattered that so many of you have trusted <i>The Original </i>Wedding
Dance Specialists with the "first steps" of your marriage. We appreciate all of the referrals, testimonials, pictures and videos you have shared
with us and even wedding invitations!
You are the most important person to our business. You are not dependent on us. We are dependent on you. You are not an outsider in our business -- you are
part of it. We are not doing you a favor by serving you. You are doing us a favor by giving us the opportunity to do so. Marriage is a beautiful and sacred institution. Brian
proposed to Deborah Joy just before Thanksgiving in 2000 at George Washington's home in Mount Vernon (pictured above) because of the strong admiration the couple
has for our nation's Founding Family's values. We remember vividly all the planning and forethought that is involved with our own wedding preparation and
dancing helps us feel like newlyweds all over again. We hope it will do the same for both of you!
Every Day is Thanksgiving! by Brian Block
Why wait for one day a year to give thanks? Don't be a turkey. I've got "My Gratitude List" posted right in front of my computer where I can see it everyday and reflect on it each and every day. Here is what I am grateful for:
- G-d's presence in my life.
- Being born and raised in the United State of America
- My freedom and the men and women who fight to maintain it.
- My education; my parents who treasured and paid for it; and the teachers who taught it.
- My health and the privileges it affords me.
- My wonderful wife who surrounds me with beauty, support, loyalty, and admiration every day and enjoys our mutual journey of growth.</li>
- My family and friends who care about me.
- My clients who trust me.
- My unique and exquisite experiences and memories.
Tomorrow is another day to look back upon the past year and express thanks for the many blessings. Thank you to everyone who's been a part of my life this
year! You are greatly appreciated.
We wish you all the best blessings for an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday filled with relaxation and fun
memories! We hope that this list of heart warming and entertaining wedding and dance movies will
encourage you to snuggle up together and enjoy the cozy feelings!
1. The Wedding Singer - New Jersey wedding singer Robbie Hart is heartbroken after being ditched at the altar by his fiancee Linda until he is enchanted by Julia. Julia enlists Robbie's help in planning her own wedding--to a sleazy womanizer. Can our hero win Julia over before it’s too late? Genre: comedy
Rolling Stone - "...A sweetheart of a comic romance..." (03/05/1998, p.73-4; Peter Travers)
USA Today - "...A snappy opening....Funny guest appearances..." (04/24/1998, p.6E; Mike Clark)
2. Father of the Bride - This is a sweet and funny movie that also has some sentimental value. It definitely pokes fun at planning a wedding and in the midst of your own stressful wedding planning can definitely give you a few smiles or even laughs. It is an excellent movie to enjoy with the entire family before your wedding day, or maybe you want to invite your father to a daddy daughter night sometime before the big day! It is one that can be watched numerous times, and still thoroughly enjoyed.
3. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - directed by Stanley Donen for MGM Studios, captured the hearts of movie goers in 1954. In the backwoods of Frontier Oregon, Adam Pontibee (Howard Keel) goes into town and in the same day returns with a blushing bride. Milly (Jane Powell) arrives at her new home and discovers she has the daunting task of cooking and cleaning not only for her husband, but his six younger brothers. Not to be intimated by her uncouth in-laws, Milly quickly establishes order and soon the brothers are using their new courtly manners to woe their own brides. Brides choreographer Michael Kidd, also know for his work on Guys and Dolls, utilizes the talents of jazz dance legend, Matt Mattox, ballet star Jacques d'Amboise, and champion gymnast Russ Tamblyn. Kidd creates some of the most memorable dance sequences in Hollywood history with his famous “Barn Raising” sequence and “Lonesome Polecat” ballet. Enjoy this riveting Academy Award winning musical tonight!
4. Strictly Ballroom -Scott Hastings and his partner are on their way to winning the Australian Pan Pacific, but only if Scott can suppress his desire to dance his unconventional steps. Eventually, Scott breaks the tight boundaries of ballroom dancing and is forced to partner with a beginning amateur dancer. Can this new couple win over the judges with their passionate and highly irregular performance? The movie Strictly Ballroom is an adaptation of Baz Luhrman’s Australian play and became an instant success in America. Ballroom is the first of Luhrman’s Red Curtain Trilogy, which also includes Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo Dicaprio and Moulin Rouge. This trilogy reinvents Hollywood filmmaking by showcasing a thematic device. The device Luhrman uses in this upbeat romantic comedy is dance. The scene to pay attention to is Antonio Vargas’s, world famous Flamenco dancer, Paso Dobles. Paul Mercurio and Tara Morice also give great performances in this David and Goliath film.
Location: The Salsa Room (Nightclub and Restaurant)
Address: 2619 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA 22204
Reprinted in part from the Washington Post: Formerly known as Cecilia's, this is one of the area's best Latin clubs, with a large dance floor, salsa lessons and regular live music. Inside the spacious Arlington dance club, brass horns blare and men wail songs of passion. On the black-and-white checkerboard dance floor, couples spin each other like tops to the one-two-three Latin beat.While salsa music continues to spin its way into the dance clubs in Arlington and the region, those same venues are finding that a handful of other sounds -- from cumbia, a traditional Colombian music, to bachata, a rhythm popularized in the Dominican Republic, to Mexican mariachi -- are also becoming just as important to the modern Latin dance craze, reaping windfalls for the clubs. The night spots are finding that they must offer a mix of dance music to cater not only to their diverse Latino clientele, but also to the burgeoning interest in all kinds of sultry music from people of all colors and creeds.
Contact us for lessons in Merengue, Salsa, Rumba and Cha Cha before heading to the club!
We will be happy to get you ready to rock!
Vendor Special Offers $$
Due to our exceptional relationships with top area vendors, we make wedding planning easier and more affordable for readers who subscribe to our free online newsletter Wedding Dance 411. We are very familiar with the services and quality of the companies we recommend and have negotiated exclusive and generous courtesy discounts on your behalf. We do not accept any commissions for recommending clients to vendors. We sincerely know these are excellent quality vendors. Just tell the vendor that The Wedding Dance Specialists referred you and present your TWDS coupon after receiving a quote from a vendor to qualify for the savings. Help save an engaged friend a bundle on wedding planning by subscribing her to WeddingDance411 so she can get the special offers too!
The Wedding Dance Specialists - Gift Certificate SALE on packages of 3 or more!
SAVE $$ on private dance lessons when lessons are purchased as a gift by a third party for the engaged couple. Valid at any of our available locations for one year from date of purchase. Sale expires December 31, 2008
Brian Block - RE/MAX Allegiance
Now that you are about to merge your life with your fiance, you may be looking to sell or purchase real estate. Click the banner to leisurely view Northern Virginia Area homes from the comfort of your home. Brian Block is a Real Estate Agent, Certified Real Estate Broker and Real Estate Attorney. Phone: 703.626.0715 | Email: email@example.com
Brian is offering TWDS newsletter readers an exclusive opportunity to receive a FREE HOME APPRAISAL (value $350). TWDS is offering 2 private ballroom dance lessons after settlement (value $174).