September 2005 Newsletter
Dance Tip: Preventing the "OUCH!!" Factor
The secret to pain-free dancing is in the technique. Techniques such as: “tracking”, “forward intention” and “resistance”. To avoid stepping on your partner’s feet or being stepped on yourself, employ all three techniques simultaneously. Tracking is a term that describes the two parallel planes that your feet walk along during dance. Proper tracking requires that you take comfortable size strides and walk directly toward each other as if nobody were in front of you. Keep your thighs close and your ankles brushing with each stride. Forward intention involves the chest preceding your movement while your weight leans forward over your toes. Maintain a forward tilt even when walking backward to absorb your partners energy efficiently to lengthen your stride, straighten your leg.. The Leader’s forward intention warns the Follower to move her feet away before he steps. Leaders and Followers use resistance or opposing tensions to maintain a consistent and safe distance between them as they travel in unison together.
Group lessons: Swing and Merengue
Swing: Make it a dinner/dancing double date night with friends or an intimate romantic escape from the hectic wedding planning. Forget about work stress and jump off the saddle and into your saddle shoes! Shimmy out of your business suit and into your zoot suit for a swingin’ good time featuring the most popular sounds from today and yesteryear! Whether your reception will include Big Band era, Motown, or Rock & Roll music, swing dancing is a fun and versatile fast dance that will enable you to dance all night long!
Merengue: This hot dance is perfect for surprising everyone with a flirty “First Dance” or spicing up general dancing at the reception. This dance style is perfect for Caribbean and Latin American honeymoons too! You don’t have to understand Spanish to enjoy the passion and fire of merengue music plus this dance is useful for Disco era and contemporary party mix music. This is an incredibly easy yet impressive dance where you see fast results and learn foundation spins that carry over into the Swing. Explore your flirty side as you learn Cuban motion hip techniques! Venture into this tantalizing world of music and dance while learning a skill that’s useful for vacation cruises, travel overseas and even the local nightclub scene! Bring your favorite dance music including Techno, Party Mix, Hip Hop, Disco and see it come alive!
To sign up: call 703-626-7016 or email email@example.com
Instructor: Deborah Joy
Location : Alexandria Studio outside of Old Town (directions and address emailed to you once you register)
Date: Thursdays, Oct 20 – Dec 15 (No class on Nov 24 Thanksgiving)
Duration: 60 minutes
$17 per person/per lesson (pre-registered 8 lesson series both Merengue and Swing
$18 per person/per lesson (pre-registered 4 lesson series ONE STYLE only, Merengue or Swing)
$20 per person (drop-in)
SAVE $$!! Refer another couple to join the group lessons and you and they pay only $15 per person for each group class they purchase.
Keep the Honeymoon Alive! Ladies Bellydance Workshop for all Levels! Nov 5&6 in Alexandria
This class is a great way to keep the home fires buring ladies! Your man will appreciate the "private show!" Plus its a great way to make new friends, get aerobic exercise, learn a new skill and get in touch with your feminine side after a long week at work. All levels are welcome for both workshops. Taught by Piper. Contact 703-626-7016 to sign up. Saturday and Sunday, 11:30 am - 5:30pm (one hour lunch break)
- 1. Basics for Belly Dance beginners. This seminar will focus on posture and ankle-knee-hip alignment for Belly Dance fundamentals such as Hip Swings, Pelvic Tilts, Body Rolls, Hip Circles, and several types of Shimmies. Each movement will be broken down, explained, and practiced along with ways to create Egyptian vs. Turkish vs. Tribal styles and looks.
- 2. Finger Cymbal Basics plus Classic American Belly Dance Step Combos. Beginners will learn to play finger cymbals, while intermediate students can practice step combos with various finger cymbal patterns.
- 3. Aziza Drum Solo Choreography + Drum Solo Ideas and Expressions. This advanced seminar will cover various ways to interpret Drum Solo rhythms along with Aziza, a choreography that can be done as a solo (Piper won the Belly Dancer of the Year award with this choreography in 2000) or with a Troupe.
- 1. Arms and Hands Combos. Take the basic techniques and steps you learned yesterday and combine them with interesting arm and upper body movements. Beginners will get a good introduction to creating their own choreographies, while more advanced dancers with come away lots of ideas for adding a variety of looks to their dance.
- 2. Raks Kahti Choreography. Beginners should take Saturday’s finger cymbal seminar as a prerequisite, while advanced dancers with finger cymbal experience can start here. This lively choreography can be done as a duet or with a whole troupe, but the combos also work great for soloists.
- 3. Dynamic Step Progressions and Combos. Creating interesting and fluid ways to get from one step or direction of movement to another. This advanced seminar includes ways to use your dance space and your eye contact to connect with your man!
SALE! SAVE 10%! Grand Opening of New Herndon/Reston Studio!
Save 10% on any wedding package during our New Studio Grand Opening Celebration Sale!! Our new Herndon/Reston studio is opening on July 18. We are taking reservations now! The sale is for anyone taking lessons at the Reston location only, your wedding must be in November or later and you must present this coupon or mention this sale. Now accepting reservations. Lessons given on Sunday (11-5pm) and Monday (4-10pm). 8 minutes from Tysons Corner and blocks from The Reston Town Center.
Dance Movie Review: Wedding Crashers
Vaughn and Wilson star as a pair of divorce mediators who spend their weekends crashing weddings in search of Ms Right…for a night. But when one of them falls for an engaged daughter of an influential politician while crashing a grand gala they get roped into spending the weekend at the politician’s weekend estate and realize they are no longer calling the shots. This romance/comedy is not for the politically correct or faint of heart. It is ideal for a warm up for a bachelor party. Be prepared for a lot of profanity and some nudity.
Brian Block - RE/MAX Allegiance
Now that you are about to merge your life with your fiance, you may be looking to sell or purchase real estate. Click the banner below to leisurely view Northern Virginia Area homes from the comfort of your home. Brian Block is a Real Estate Agent and Real Estate Attorney plus a newlywed, Co-Founder of The Wedding Dance Specialists and Assistant Instructor for Wedding Dance Practice Sessions. Present this coupon to recieve a FREE HOME APPRAISAL (value $350) plus 2 FREE private ballroom dance lessons when you use his services for purchasing your home. (TOTAL VALUE: $500! ) Click on the banner to go to www.BrianBlock.com
Newlywed Wedding Dance Video Contest!
WIN a $25 gift certificate to the restaurant of your choice t if your wedding dance video is selected to be displayed on our website. To qualify you must be a former TWDS client. Email us an mpeg file to firstname.lastname@example.org or snail mail a dvd with both names, your wedding date, contact information and mailing address. To snail mail contact us for details.
These are NOT our students!
We promise you will never look like this! We GUARANTEE that you will look and feel more elegant after ONE lesson with us than if you just try to "wing it".
There are no "accidents" in dancing. Every mistake can be corrected or prevented using a specific technique. Dancing is a science made to look like an art!
The Bear Hug Sway
Are they asleep or dancing? Who are they? This frame forces the photographer to feature the man’s bald spot instead of his face.
Wedding Etiquette:Attire for the Parents of the Bride and Groom (Reprinted in part from Emily Post)
The elegance of the mothers’ dresses should be keyed to the elaborateness of the wedding. Long skirts and dresses are considered appropriate for any wedding from noon on. The mothers should try not to wear the same color as the bridesmaids or the bride are wearing. Nor should both mothers wear the same color.
There is no hard and fast rule governing the clothes of the bride’s father but since he will be escorting his daughter down the aisle behind the ushers, the party will have a more unified a ppearance if he wears the same outfit they do. Thus the father of the bride almost invariable dresses like the other men in the wedding party. At a formal wedding the bridegroom’s father may wear the same type of clothes as those worn by the bride’s father. In weddings whose culture does not give him an official role in the ceremony he may wear a dark suit if he prefers. In Jewish weddings where both parents escort the groom down the aisle, he should dress as the rest of the wedding party.
Wedding Planning Tip: Packing for the Honeymoon
Deborah Joy, Newlywed and Founder of TWDS has the following suggestions for being prepared for your honeymoon:
- Digital camera, batteries, manual
- iPod/Discman/MP3 player, batteries, mini-speakers
- Disposable underwater camera
- Foreign-language dictionary or phrase book
- Journal/notebook and pen
- Maps and directions
- Mini-DVD player or DVD-capable laptop and DVDs
- Reading material
- Travel guide(s)
- Antibiotic cream
- Anti-diarrheal medication
- Birth control
- Bug repellent
- Cortisone 1% anti-itch cream
- Extra pair of eyeglasses
- For cruisers: Sea-sickness bands or pills
- Pain reliever
- Prescription medicines
Money & Documents
- Addresses for sending postcards/e-mail
- Auto insurance card
- Business cards
- Copy of marriage license
- Copy of medical history, if necessary
- Copy of vacation packing list
- Driver's license/international driver's license
- Emergency numbers and embassy address
- Frequent flyer/frequent guest cards
- Paper airline tickets or e-ticket confirmation
- Passports and visas, if necessary
- Photo ID
- Pre-paid phone card
- Travelers checks and receipt (keep separate)
- Vaccination certificates, if required
- Your itinerary
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Bubble bath
- Crazy Glue
- Currency converter
- Luggage locks
- Massage oil
- Plastic Zip-Loc bags
- Playing cards
- Scented candle
- Sports gear (tennis racquets, golf clubs, swim goggles)
HIS VACATION PACKING LIST ITEMS
- Athletic shoes
- Boxers / Briefs
- Casual shirts
- Dress shoes
- Oxford shirts
- Pajamas / Robe
- Sports jacket
- Swim trunks
- T-shirts / Undershirts
- Workout clothes
- Comb / Brush
- Lip balm
- Rogaine, if necessary
- Shaving kit / Shaving Cream
- Shampoo / Conditioner / Styling Products
HER VACATION PACKING LIST ITEMS
Women's Clothing and Accessories
- Bathing suit and coverup
- Lingerie/sleep shirt
- Costume jewelry -- earrings, necklace, bracelets
- Fake diamond engagement ring (leave the real one in a safety-deposit box till you return)
- Pareo/sarong/big scarf
- Stylish shirt
- Straw/wide-brimmed hat
- Tank/halter/sleeveless tops
- Workout clothes
- Acne control product
- Baby powder
- Blow dryer/straightening iron
- Eye Shadow
- Makeup remover
- Facial cleanser
- Dental floss
- Shampoo/conditioner/styling products